Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Words I will never forget

It was almost four months ago. Baby K had a very serious episode and we were in the E.R. I was terrified. K was very sick. Looking back at our three E.R. experiences, I now know that if you are whisked back ASAP and surrounded immediately by nurses and the doctor - its not that the E.R. is super efficient, its that the patient is in bad shape. I was thankful that our last two visits we were not seen by the doctor within minutes. But that's not the point of this post.

Things calmed down a few hours later, and I had a chance to go to the bathroom to regroup and just breathe and cry in private, I went back into K's room. The pediatric doctor arrived. I wish I knew her name so I could thank her for her treatment of us. She was gentle and kind. She complimented my diaper bag. (Marie Hasty makes the best diaper bags, FYI.) She looked gently into K's ears and began talking to K. I could tell by her voice that she meant what she said. She told K:"You are going to grow up to be big and strong. You are such a handsome boy. You are going to go to Kindergarten and you are going to learn to read and write and do math. The girls are going to love you. They are going to say, 'Ooh there is K. Isn't he handsome? Isn't he smart. We just love him.' You are going to grow, be smart, and be healthy."

I'll never forget those words. Words of comfort and hope midst so much negativity. And those are our prayers for our sweet Little K. That he grows big and strong and healthy..and of course, that the girls love him;-)

No comments: